Sunday, June 03, 2007

The Problem with Advertisment

So I just finished Numb3rs, The Janus List, which I think Lilah told me is the season finale. For those of you who are not up to speed on must see TV, this is a CBS show Lilah introduced me to a couple of years back that we both just love.


On the other hand, I'm constantly reading articles about how advertising is failing in mainstream media, how TIVO and Digital Video Recorders are pinching the bottom line because people aren't watching commercials, they're fast forwarding. (The last article I saw was regarding the Neislen Media commercial rating system, just introduced.)


Now to my point of the problem of advertisement; there is a scene in the aforementioned episode of Numb3rs that has one of the main characters wearing what I think is an awesome pair of sunglasses. So awesome in fact that I would like to buy a pair. So I searched the internet, and I searched, and I searched some more, trying to find out the brand of these shades. Nuthing. What is the point of product placement in a show if no one knows what it is your showing? You would think that there would be some sort of list of clothing providers, autos, even home decor from each show at the show's website. I mean, isn't that what the business of Hollywood is all about? Selling stuff?


Sheese.

No comments: