Saturday, October 20, 2007

Let me Explain.
No there is too much-Let me sum up

Lilah recently wrote an email to her former co-workers, and it was so well done I asked her if I could share it with you; she said yes:


I am sorry to keep you guys in the dark for so long! It seems that
everything is happening all at once, and I have not had the chance to
slow down yet. I started writing you an e-mail the first week I got
here, but uh, well, here we are now. I will give you a quick run-down
of how it's gone so far:

Week 1: Orientation - Since everyone associated with the shipyard here
is a representative of the shipyard to the nation of Japan, we all
attend a week-long orientation. It also helps with culture shock,
exposes you to the many available resources, and is a pre-requisite if
you want to drive in Japan. I thought it was great, and the speakers
were pretty engaging and knowledgeable. And I'm driving, as scary as
that sounds.
Week 2: Tragedy Strikes - At the beginning of the week, I'm taking
(and passing) my driver's course, getting all the paperwork processed
including the dog I brought with me. By the end of the week, Jason
receives a phone call that his mother is suffering serious
complications from a minor surgery. Jason flies home to Oklahoma.
Week 3: More Tragedy and Furniture - Jason's mother passed away. I
will fly to Oklahoma for the funeral services, but first I will
oversee the arrival of my furniture, which is several months earlier
than expected. While in Oklahoma, I suffer from jet lag - A LOT.
Week 4: Unpacking and Surprise! - It took me a while to recover from
what felt like severe sleep deprivation. In the meantime, I'm trying
to establish paths through the junk in my house. I made a good amount
of progress this week, but still have yet to finish (as of Oct 20). At
the very end of this week, we made a very special discovery...we're
pregnant!
Week 5: Trick? or Treat - This week is spent both at the hospital
getting an enormous amount of blood taken from me (and confirming the
results) and visiting some of the English classes I will soon be
taking over. Since it is October, the theme has been Halloween, which
is still a very foreign concept in Japan. And I've been
trick-or-treating 3 times this last week. I had a very lovely meeting
with a nurse at the hospital, which established my estimated due date
as June 11.

So, as you can see, Jason and I have experienced just a few MAJOR LIFE
EVENTS in the last month. But I have been thinking of my KPS buddies
quite a bit lately and I'm glad to finally get the opportunity to
write just a little bit. I still have lots of unpacking to do, and it
seems there is always something going on, so I don't feel like I will
be bored here at all. I don't have a real job yet, but with the
aforesaid MAJOR LIFE EVENTS, Jason would like me to get a temporary
real job to help with the transition.

I know you probably have a lot of questions and I left out many
details, so please keep writing me and I will keep you posted!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, your due on Debbie's birthday/our wedding anniversary!