Monday, September 08, 2008

Nothing Yet

Is it just me? Sure, that's a loaded question so let me explain. Being back in the States I've been watching some TV in my off hours working on my SRF leftovers and I saw this Ford commercial for some new cross over something or another - that part isn't important - and they were touting, no bragging, nay PROUD to emphasize their 24 miles per gallon fuel efficiency. Someone is definitely not getting the message. I point out the Ford vehicle because I like Ford so I was drawn to pay more attention to their product than say the top 10 best fuel economy automakers:

Mini - 27.66 MPG averaged from 12 vehicle models
Honda - 23.81 MPG averaged from 27 vehicle models
Chevrolet - 23.36 MPG averaged from 88 vehicle models
Lotus - 22.33 MPG averaged from 3 vehicle models (Lotus makes sports cars)
VW - 22.21 MPG averaged from 28 vehicle models (Bugatti not included here)
Pontiac - 22.20 MPG averaged from 24 vehicle models
Saturn - 22.14 MPG averaged from 21 vehicle models
Kia - 21.80 MPG averaged from 20 vehicle models
Suzuki - 21.77 MPG averaged from 18 vehicle models
Toyota - 21.60 MPG averaged from 55 vehicle models

Is anyone else worried about these numbers? Heck the worst of the worst, the world's fastet car, the Bugatti Veyron get's 10 miles per gallon or roughly half that of the 10th best the industry has to offer.

Okay, so sure, these are fleet averages and companies like GM and Ford are weighed down by their "Huge Honkin' Trucks" (- a technical term.)
So let's look at the "Best of the Best" individual cars: Hybrids included.

Model ---------------------------- City (mpg) -- HWY (mpg) -- Combined (mpg)

2008 Toyota Prius ---------------- 48 ---------- 45 -------------- 46
2008 Honda Civic Hybrid -------- 40 --------- 45 -------------- 42
2008 Smart Fortwo --------------- 33 ---------- 41 -------------- 36
2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid ----- 35 ----------- 33 -------------- 34
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid ----- 33 ----------- 34 -------------- 34
2009 VW Jetta TDI --------------- 30 ---------- 41 --------------- 34
2009 Ford Escape Hybrid -------- 34 ---------- 30 -------------- 32
2008 Toyota Yaris ----------------- 29 ---------- 36 -------------- 32
2008 Mini Cooper/Clubman ----- 28 ---------- 37 -------------- 32
2008 Honda Fit -------------------- 28 ---------- 34 -------------- 31

So yeah, some of those numbers are respectable as a basis for the new fuel paradigm. But realizing that the new Congressional fuel economy numbers for 2020, a mere and pitiful 35 mpg, exceed 7 of the top 10 fuel performers... it's enough to feel a little doomed.

I'm an engineer and I just don't get it. The US automakers are going bankrupt; the price of gas has widely impacted the economy in addition to reducing the overall "miles driven" by record margins impacting our nations highway funds, the ecological impacts of carbon emissions on the environment are at world wide crisis levels ... and Ford, my Ford, First On Race Day, Ford is proud of 24 miles per gallon? Really? Huh.

How about plug in Hybrids? The technology is there; commuter traffic would benefit hugely from the plug in technology, mpg numbers would soar.

Newer and lighter materials? Do we still need 4000 pound cars and trucks? Where's all that carbon nano-tube technology when you need it?

How about some of those newer desiel technologies... or hey, how about a hybrid desiel combo?

What about something radical like computer assisted driving that could couple cars in long aerodynamic chains, reducing wind resistance - one of the largest opponents of fuel economy?

Why not offer fuel credits for carpooling? Maybe half price gas for validated carpools of four or more people.

My guess is that there is no shortage of fuel economy ideas out there; but who's going to be the company that implements a real change?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope all went well- Let us know! I ride a bicycle most everywhere since my car pooped out. So I vote for lees cars on the highways. They keep trying to run me over.
LUM
AP

Lilah said...

Um, AP, are bicycles allowed on the highways? You know, that might be your solution right there...

:)

Anonymous said...

As long as I ride with traffic (like I'm a vehicle) I am legal- but it hard to peddle the minimum speed limit :-)
ap
ps - aunt louise passed

Anonymous said...

Plug in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV) are in development. The thing holding them back right now is battery technology.

Lithium Ion batteries have problems with Battery Runaway. That's where, due to temperature changes, they start pumping out juice uncontrollably. The batteries get hot enough that they eventually catch fire given they are large enough.

Google the Chevy Volt. That's going to be the first PHEV released to the public. I'm actually still driving that Red piece of crud Corolla I had in College waiting for a PHEV to come out.

But I've also heard from some unverifiable source that if every car in the USA got 35+ miles per gallon that we would need no foreign oil.

As I said, it is unverifiable, so don't go stating that as fact. But it makes one think. So much so that if I find it online, I was planning on printing it out a few dozen times. When I see a H2 or something in a parking lot, I was going to write on it "Thanks for doing your part" and stick it in their windshield.

But I thought of something sort of funny the other day. This month marks the tenth year I, or anyone you've met at SMC, have known you.

So... Happy Tenth Knowaversary I guess. :)