Thursday, October 16, 2008

United We Fail


Although it sounds much like a political rant, in truth this post is about air transportation, specifically with United Airlines. I'm sure those who follow the blog know that I fly a lot. I've been a premium member for the past 5 years and am entering my third year as a 1K member with United, meaning that I have flown at least 100,000 miles with them each year for three years. So, when I say that the overall quality and comfort-level of traveling United Airlines has diminished significantly over recent years, I feel I speak with some authority.

So what's going on? Well, for starters I'm sitting here beside my wife and daughter, trapped in Washington Dulles International Airport. It doesn't help that this is by far one of the most sprawling and dysfunctional airports that I've had the misfortune to navigate on numerous occasions (by comparison, Reagan International Airport, seconds outside the beltway, is one of the best I've ever flown into or out of -- and the two airports are within 45 minutes of each other), but the real issue boils down to pure incompetence by United.

Shame on you, United. Today United Airlines has undermined what little confidence and loyalty I held for them. Having worked very hard to ensure that my two dogs, wife, daughter, nine pieces of luggage, 5 carry on items, car seat and stoller all would make it to Huntsville, Alabama; having gone so far as to split my travel over three days; having arranged seperate domestic flights to ensure that both dogs safely arrived at our final destination; having personnally called and spoken with the 1K extra special customer representative; having paid $800 in additional tickets for the dogs -- 5 in Narita and 3 here in DC; having done ALL of this, we arrive at the gate only to be told that the cargo hold is unpressurized and does not get air, so our dogs cannot travel this flight.

Please understand the gravity here; I spoke to no less than FIVE United Airline's representatives -- two in person, three on the phone -- to arrange this very complicated travel itinerary that got all of us to the final destination on the right day... not just spoke to, but had confirmation from FIVE United Airline's representatives, each looking into their trusty computers and confirming the plans and authorizations, only to be told at THE LAST POSSIBLE MOMENT - just 15 minutes prior to boarding - that the dogs, and therefore I, could not travel to Huntsville Alabama on this flight.

Let me say that I've been chewing on the idea of changing preferred carriers for a little while now. In truth, over the past three years I was pretty much locked into United as the carrier of choice between Narita and Seattle as well as Narita and DC. With so much required travel I've been fortunate to obtain top-tier status repeatedly and for three years I've received the literature and read the promises of soon-to-arrive newer-better-beautiful business class seating upgrades; and yet, each year has passed without so much as a fluffier pillow. I accept that Cathay Pacific or Singapore Air are just phenominally devoted to passenger comfort and that not every airline is willing to sacrafice as much to maintain such customer loyality. Still, I believe that the American Airlines upgrades are a good compromise to fiscal frugality and customer comfort, and that Delta's First/Business One-class concept offers a much better cabin and comfort for the mid-level ticket, if slightly less grandiose for the top-dollar traveller.

So I'm on to greener pastures. The immediate crisis will be resolved by switching destinations to Nashville Tennessee and renting two rental cars at my own expense (a United manager did try to get taxi vouchers for the trip, but was unsuccessful) to transport everyone and everything to Huntsville, about 2 hours south. I received a couple hundred dollars in travel vouchers, enough to reimburse me for the rental cars should I decide to fly Untied again in the future, but nothing that begins to compensate my time or inconvenience. So, from here-on out, when asked which airlines I prefer to travel on, United Airlines, you are no longer my carrier of choice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A testing trial of patience. I do hope all -doggies too made it safe. Give a call with new phone numbers.
We be thrilled your stateside.
LUM
GAP

saubyfamily said...

oh man... this kind of thing just follows you everywhere, doesn't it? We've been thinking of you this week and hope that you are ALL now safe and sound in Hsv (that's the abbreviation for Huntsville) and will get settled in soon. I must admit... I'm slightly jealous at you getting to move there... I still miss living there and know you will come to love it as well. Take care. And get on Facebook... I'm on and have LOTS of CURRENT pictures on there... albums of them... the upload is way faster, but alas, you must also be a facebook member (and get my acceptance as your friend) to see the pictures. Cheers to your new place and write or call when you get a little bit unpacked. Hugs to your two girls for me!