Saturday, February 23, 2008

My Soap Box of the Wireless Future


I took this image on the way to a temple in Kyoto; I recommend clicking on the image to get the full size version. It just struck me that a city with so much history and so much beauty would be subjected to this appalling mar on the skyline; but it's everywhere -- more severely here in Japan than in the States, true, but still a blight anywhere there is an electronic infrastructure.

I can imagine that cables are left above ground, here, instead of being buried due to the volatile tectonic shifts that might break the cables during an earthquake. I can reason that it's cheaper to hang them in the sky than to dig a ditch. Repair is also probably easier on a hanging wire...
but at what cost to the environment and beauty of a culture.

I wonder if wireless will save us, just like the computer gave us the paperless society.

Soap box over.

No comments: