Monday, February 06, 2006

Am I just another bitter fan?

Yes I'm bitter! I want a Congressional inquiry. I want a Class Action Law suit against the NFL, Ford Stadium, the Referee organization that provided these buffoons, and the head referee. Look, when a doctor makes a mistake it's almost never intentional, yet he or she is held to a specific standard and must answer for those mistakes. If an engineer builds a bridge that collapses, even if no one is hurt, there is an economic loss and that professional engineer is held to a standard and held accountable. So riddle me this, how is it that these supposed professional referees can make what the tape shows to be blatant mistakes in their calls and not be held responsible? And do you realize how much money was riding on this one game? Billions. And not just for betters; how about the economic impact of having a Superbowl winning team in your city?

Honestly? I mean, I can't understand how Pittsburg, the very SAME Pittsburg that was crying foul not two weeks ago over poor calls from referees, can stand tall and proud given the sheer number of shoddy flags thrown in Superbowl XL. If I were a Steelers fan, I'd be embarrassed and angry that the referees tainted my victory with such scandal.

But that’s the same thing every other North Westerner is saying. Here’s the beef that I want to talk about: ABC completely blackballed the Seahawks. Did anyone else notice this? The entire first quarter and the Steelers didn’t even get a FIRST DOWN and all Madden could talk about was “The Bus” this, or “Unpronounceable Quarterback Name” that. The commercial breaks where the network highlighted a player in a semi-sorta sepia tone with this inspirational speech in the background? They were all for Steelers players. In fact, in the entire game there were only two Seattle players highlighted versus the 6 for Pittsburg. Stats were ignored or flashed across the screen without any mention of the fact that the Seahawks had held the Steelers to a minimum of yards gained and had triumphed over their supposedly impervious defense like it was a second rate college team.

No recognition, no praise, no respect. I guess the Seahawks have been talking about this all year and I shouldn’t be surprised, but here we are in the Superbowl and these two teams are supposed to be on an unbiased, level playing field and that did not happen. ABC has lost my respect. I’d rather FOX keep all the football on their network because at least they’re impartial.

As for the Seattle Seahawks? Darn glad to know you! You deserve everything you earned and a lot more. See you again at XLI.

EDIT: i'd like to include the following link to Fox Sports to add a little vindication to my complaints. I know that there are probably a hundred different versions of this story in the news, but this one agrees with me, and that means it must be true. :j

No comments: