Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Olympic Coverage

It's the digital age, yes? I mean, I have what... a hundred twenty four channels on the baby-sitter and some fourteen of those are high-def 720p resolution. I get American Channels, Canadian channels, Japanese Channels, Religious Channels, Shopping channels. That lineup doesn't include the pay-per-view channels or On Demand features, or any of the premium channels like Starz, Cinemax, Showtime, (though we do get HBO), or any of the some 50 sports premium channels that we couldn't care less about.

Well then, welcome to the 2006 Olympics, available for your pleasure on THREE, yes count them three channels. Only in the evening. And only what the network wants you to see on their potluck schedule. There are only 15 events in the Winter Olympics spread over 16 days, AND the most events held on any single day is Seven (which happened on Sunday 2/12/06). It seems to me that they could dedicate an event per channel on seven of those 50 sports pay channels and let me choose what I want to watch for a few dollars more, instead of having to rely on Mr. Personality Bob Costas.

Sure, there's On Demand "Highlights", but in my opinion that is just a crummy summation of the already crummy coverage by NBC. Nope, here in my 6th winter Olympics the only difference I can see in the sports coverage between now and then is that I can catch another country's one channel of coverage. My, how far we've advanced.

No comments: