Friday, January 20, 2006

Here's one for you, Nineteen for me...

So I was reading an interesting article I linked to from Digg.com, the social news forum, about the top ten reasons that the American Tax System will collapse in the next 10 years. The author stresses that while the Tax system may collapse, this will not be a catastrophic event for our economy, and in fact we may all be better for such an event and the replacement system that would result.

Highly speculative, to be sure, but there was an interesting bit I'd like to quote.

To put this in perspective, the taxes paid into the government each year are based on over a trillion judgment calls by people interpreting their understanding of a tax code consisting of several thousand pages of paper that they have never personally read… or care to read.

--Thomas J. Frey



You can find the full article here if you're interested in reading all ten reasons. Some of them are very convincing. Some a little far fetched. But I will mark my calendar and await 2016 to see if Mr. Frey was correct.

Here's hoping!

:j

2 comments:

ashejen said...

I just turned on moderate comments...but previously I've just deleted them and I approve the "do you really want to really delete them" comment and it blows it away.

Anonymous said...

I sure hope I am retired by the time this happens.A whole new set of rules-Yikes! I haven't mastered all the old ones yet as they keep changing.
Mom