Monday, October 31, 2005

Feel Free 2 Comment

So, it's been awhile since the old family has left us any messages on the blog... am I that boring? It's nice to know that people are reading this blog... I appreciate your comments during our phone calls. But spare a click or two and tell the world you were here; how's about it, eh?

Well, as previously mentioned, we've been preapproved for our home remodel project. And it's a big project. In order to recieve the funds from the bank, we have to have a complete set of engineered drawings and all our city and county permits. I'm currently working on the engineered drawings. It's a pretty good program that I got to work with and I also bought a reference book to look at floor plans (but the book was VERY limited in details) and found a curb appeal that I like a lot. Lilah likes it to, so that about finalizes the decision, barring an exorbanant expense that would prevent persuing the design.

So, in case you're wondering, yes: this is incredibly intimidating. I keep wondering if we shouldn't just sell and run instead of putting so much money on the line and risking so much. I mean, worse case scenario we'll have a really nice home to live in with a mortgage about twice what we're paying now. So this isn't necessarily feast or famine... but it will be the largest project that I've been the sole management on. So yeah, I fear messing it up. Of course, I think if i were adamantly confident then someone should step in and put me in a padded jacket. There IS a lot to be concerned about. Sub contractors, time lines, city and country restrictions... and I'm not even experienced enough to recognize all the potential road blocks. But I think I understand the thrill and the excitement of launching your own business!

In nowhere near as important news, Comcast Cable won me again. I called up to cancel the cable service cause I was going to go to Dish network who was offering 3 rooms of service with a High Def Digital Video Recorder (HD DVR) and a normal Digital Video Recorder (DVR) for a pretty good introductory offer that went up in price in 6 months but was still less than Comcast was charging me for just the one regular TV connection with no DVR, on top of which we pay about 12 bucks a month for TIVO to get the DVR services. Well, upon calling Comcast they couldn't beat the 3 TV's, but they did offer an HD DVR, a normal Digital Cable box, HBO, and all the channels we currently have for less than they were currently charging me. Throwing in the HBO won't do a whole lot for us because we're not watching TV so much anymore, but there are a couple of series that I do like on HBO... so, what the hey!

I'm thinking tomorrow I'm going to call up JC Penney to see about this outrageous interest rate they're charging me to own their platinum card. It's a good time because it's at a zero balance and I wouldn't be broken hearted if I needed to cancel the card because they won't deal. Well, we'll see. When I called to cancel my Capital One card the other day (paid that one off, too) they offered me 9% interest to keep the card! (that's down from 21% interest) I kinda regret telling them no thank you. I mean, how many 9% cards do you own? Anyway, that's just a reminder to everyone that if you're unhappy with your current deal, it's worth calling the company and horse trading.

Hope to hear from all you guys. Remember, the comments are our friends!

:j

What this picture has to do with this post... I have no idea. But, it's a good picture!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You said you wanted family feedback so here goes:
I am very concerned about this MAJOR undertaking you are getting ready to do-the time constraint,the lack of construction knowledge on your part and all the little things that can go wrong that all of a sudden can become a mountain.More than anything I am worried about you,Jas.As you have gotten older your patience quotient has decreased greatly as your "roar factor" has increased.This renovation is going to mean some major stress and I just hope you will be able to handle it without making any new unintended holes in the walls.You have to learn to "chill out".Remember that Lilah will be stressed out too, so you are both going to need to be balance boards for each other.When all is said and done it will be a wonderful accomplishment to be proud of.Just try to travel the less bumpy road to get there.
Mom