Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Peek-a-Blah

No, we ain't dead.

I spent a great weekend sick and yucky. Thursday afternoon I felt it coming on... the exhaustion from switching shifts, the sniffles I'd been fighting, the coughing that was getting worse, the headache that wouldn't go away.

None the less Friday came as a surprise when I didn't wake up until 12:30 in the afternoon. Seriously. It was my first roll over of the day and I'd not even heard the dog, the cats, my wife leaving for work... nothing. Over the next four days me and the bed were good buddies. Yeah, and the couch, too.

So yesterday, Tuesday, I finally got back to work only to find that I had a backlog so big I was ready to call a saw mill. In fact, most this week will be that busy. That time of year I guess.

As for other news, we're in the process of starting our financing portion of the house renovation. This entails a lot more work than I reckoned. The financial history part is a pea-portion of the potluck; in order to get our construction loan we're going to have to hire an architect, a General Contractor, and have all the subs (sub-contractors) submit bids for time and material in order for the bank to give us the loan. If this wasn't good info for me to have I'm not sure that I would follow through with a "Construction loan" and would take the higher interest rate on the Equity line of credit.

Another neat thing coming out of this process is that, at least on paper, we own more than we owe. That's a neat feeling. Of course, it's hypothetical because we'd have to sell our house, cash in our stocks and retirements, pawn our belongings, and hawk our truck to pay off the mortgages, the student loans, our (rapidly diminishing) revolving credit, etc. But at the end of the juggling act, we'd be a couple pennies ahead, and that's all right by me!

Peace out y'all. I promise to get a shopping list of our projects posted soon.

:jnl

1 comment:

ashejen said...

Are you both feeling ok now? That stinks...just takes 1 person to get a married couple sick...

Switching shifts like that always wears me out and gets me sick too...